Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Running In The Heat

Good morning y'all!!

It's only Tuesday and I'm already so tired! I just cannot seem to get going this morning.

The heat is definitely on here in Oklahoma where we usually go from one extreme to the other. The past 2 summers have been the hottest on record and I think we might be setting up for another hot one this year.

Pathways ran 3 miles last night. It was 92 degrees but felt like 98 with the heat index. They all did very well!! We cut our route just a little bit short but they were all AWESOME!!

Then I came home and did Insanity Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs. I'm feeling real discouraged with it because I'm not seeing any results yet. :-(

I thought I would share a few of the running in the heat tips that I shared with my runners yesterday.

A few things that will help you with running in the heat:
 
1: Wear light, moisture wicking clothing. Remember, less is more and no cotton! Frog togs are nice!
2: HYDRATE!! Drink plenty of water, Nuun, or the electrolyte replacement of your choice.
3: Wear sunscreen, a hat/visor and/or sunglasses.
4:  Don't eat anything heavy for lunch because you will probably be regretting that choice mid-run. And remember to eat a light snack pre-run for more energy. I really like the honey stinger waffles with a little fruit pre-run.
5: Be aware of the signs of heat exhaustion and other heat related illness/injury.
6: Adjust your schedule. Run in the morning or later in the evening to beat the extreme heat.
7: Carry water with you or plan your route where you will have frequent water stops.
8: Find some shade to run in. Don't be afraid to take walk breaks. Adjust your pace or intervals as needed to adjust to the heat.
 
Remember, heat can affect your performance 10-20% and that it takes about 2 weeks to acclimate to the heat. Running in the heat may not be ideal but it can be done.
 
Well, that's all I've got for now. I've got a job interview this morning, then I have to high-tail it to work where I have a family meeting with a less than pleasant family member this morning. Please Lord, put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth because I am a little afraid about what I might say to that individual!
 
Be extraordinary today!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. You lost me at running when it was 92 degrees out. I hate running in anything over 65 degrees! :) Great hot weather running tips, so important to stay hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really a fan of the heat either. Here in Oklahoma, we don't have much choice though. Maybe I should more north for the summer, take a travel nursing job perhaps! :-)

      Delete