Monday, May 20, 2013

Weekend in review/Full Moon Race Recap

Good morning y'all!!  Happy Monday!

Whew! That weekend was very productive, but just flew by!!

Saturday, I was up before the crack of dawn to go coach my Pathways group. We had a huge group! It would have been a great morning for a run if it hadn't been for the humidity. It was swampy!!  Thank goodness for the cloudy cover and cool breeze. The group did a great job of staying tight and together. I'm really proud of them all!!

We had post run brunch with a friend then headed home to rest and hydrate for the Full Moon Run later that night.

We arrived at Veteran's Park in Tulsa early, around 5pm, as we were assisting with the registration. It was hot Saturday afternoon, the high was 91with about 70% humidity. Severe thunderstorms were in the forecast. I wasn't feeling well and my left hip was really bothering me. As I tell my runners all the time, control what you can control. I knew there wasn't anything I could do about the wind, heat or humidty so I focused on the pain in my hip. I had been stretching and rolling during the day and taped it up really well before we left home. We lined up in the starting corral and waited for the gun to go off. As I stood there, adrenaline started to kick in, I wasn't noticing the pain in my hip as much. They fired the gun and we were off!! I was pretty sure tonight wasn't going to be the night that I broke 30 minutes, but I was sure going to try!!  I needed to average a 9:39 pace. I had to weave through a crush of people and before I knew it, I was at an 8 minute/mile pace. We got to Riverside drive and I backed off to a 9:30 but I knew I wasn't going to be able to maintain it. It was just too hot. I slowed down to about a 9:50 and walked through the water stop. I maintained that pace until the last mile and I had to walk. I slowed down to a 10:10. I pushed as hard as I could on the last stretch. I was sucking so much wind and was so hot that I seriously thought I was going to throw up for the first time ever. Fortunately, that didn't happen. My official finish time was 31:48, not my goal time but is now my current 5k PR!!  After I got cooled down and stretched, we enjoyed some of the amazing food and the Van Halen cover band for a little while.

I couldn't find any photos of me, which is probably a good thing, but here is hubs finishing the Full Moon run.

Sunday, we got up early, packed our RV and got it all set up at the lake for Memorial weekend. We are going camping and boating with friends at Lake Tenkiller, about 2 hours east of where we live. I'm really looking forward to the long, relaxing weekend!

It was a wild day weather-wise here in Oklahoma. After we got the camper set up, we went to town to shop for groceries so we won't have to worry about that we get there this weekend. Around 3-4 pm, friends and family started texting me and calling me to tell me that there were storms/tornadoes about 60 miles southwest of our home and that we were in the direct path of these storms. I wasn't really worried but I kept a close eye on my weather app. The storms ended up going east of our house, thankfully.

This is going to be a busy week for me. Tonight, Pathways has their first track/speed workout but we are expecting more severe weather tonight, so we'll see how that goes. We run in rain, but not severe storms/lightening. Tuesday night, I've got Urban Fit boot camp. Wednesday and Thursday night, I'll be coaching Pathways and Friday night, after work, I'll be lake bound!!

Have a marvelous Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment