Friday, April 26, 2013

What I've learned from running

Good morning dear readers! TGIF Cheers to the freakin' weekend!

Its a busy weekend for us here in Oklahoma. The OKC Memorial Marathon is Sunday. Hubs and I got on a relay team so we'll be participating in that and I have to admit that I'm getting pretty excited about it!

I was going to do a phone dump Friday post today but some how managed to erase most of the photos on my phone's SD card. I guess they are gone for good :-(

I was going to save this post for another time, but after a conversation with a friend at work yesterday, I think I'll go ahead and post it today. Hope you enjoy reading! And have a fabulous Friday!


Somewhere along the road of life, I apparently failed one of Erickson's psychological tasks because I didn't develop a self esteem or confidence when I should have.

I was never a popular girl with many friends when I was growing up. I was often picked on and made fun of. Sadly, I let those experiences define me. Consequently, I made poor choices and wasn't a very good/happy person.

My parents are good people. They wanted my siblings and I to be successful, they just never really encouraged us to pursue hopes and dreams. My dad worked all the time and my mother was busy raising us kids and running the household. We participated in extracurricular activities but we were satisfied with the status quo.

I never really found that "thing" that made me who I am. I was a nurse, a wife and a mother but I was struggling to find my passion.

I tried several hobbies such as gardening and crafts. I would eventually get bored and move on to the next thing. My work life was much the same. I job hopped looking for the perfect job to give me that sense of self and satisfaction.

It wasn't until 2 years ago that I took up running and that is when something phenomenal happened to me.

After I ran my first race, I felt such a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I was proud of myself for starting that race and finishing it!  I was still not confident though. I still had doubts about my abilities. But the more I ran, the more confident I became. It was the most amazing feeling!!

Through running, I have developed a sense of self. I am proud of who I am and I am confident!
I've learned that although life is hard, I am strong, that I can do anything and that I can overcome anything with persistence and determination. I learned that happiness doesn't come from external sources, people or events, but that it comes from within. If I'm happy with myself, then I project that to others. I have become more centered and positive. I feel like I have a balance in my life that I've never had before. I have found my passion and have become a better person. I can honestly say that running has defined me.

I am a runner.

4 comments:

  1. Running is such a powerful activity! I've learned that it's much more than just putting on a pair of shoes and yet it can be as simple as putting on a pair of shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Amy. I truly think that running is a metaphor for life.

      Delete
  2. running can do so much. I at times have felt very confident running, but other times I have felt just the opposite. I think we all have these demons inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. I always try to run my demons hard and leave them puking on the side of the road

      Delete