Friday, April 5, 2013

Race pacing and other randomness

TGIF y'all!!

This has been an exciting week! The sugar detox has been going pretty well so far, but I really want some almonds covered in Hershey's chocolate right now. And this is supposed to be day 5 of the 30 day shred, but I am declaring it a rest day. I've been pretty active so far this week and it will be a very active weekend w/ a 10k and a 20+mile bike ride planned so I think it's reasonable to take the night off. I am going to do vinyasa yoga and some foam rolling but other than that, I am going to rest.

I'm excited about the Aquarium 10k run tomorrow. It is the graduation run for my Pathways group that I coach. This is the 3rd session I've coached this program and I think has been my favorite session so far. This has been the most cohesive group I've coached. They seem to have bonded and they have all worked so hard. I am so proud of them!!

I have yet to figure out my pre-race and race nutrition, but I've narrowed it down to oatmeal w/ fruit, baked sweet potato and brown rice, or sliced apple and peanut butter. I'm still figuring out race nutrition too. I'm thinking either dried fruit or organic baby food packets. Hmmm......I just don't know. I know the "nothing new on race day" rule but technically this is a training run for me. I'm open to any and all suggestions :-D

And, I also haven't figured out my pacing stratgey either. I know, its a little late to be figuring all this out, but hey, stuff happens!!  There are 3 of us that will be coaching my group. They have been training at a 12:00 minute pace with 11/1 intervals. I know what my co-coaches are planning to do. Kay will be running about 11:45 with 9/1 intervals. Her goal finish time is 1:15. Rozdi will start at a 12:00 to 12:15 and progess to 11:45 with 9/1 intervals. I'm thinking I might start at an 11:45 pace and progress to 11:30 and I don't plan to do intervals other than walking through the water stops. My goal finish time is 1:12 which is an average of 11:35. I probably should not try to race this, but should treat it as a long, slow training run since I'm 2 weeks away from my half marathon. I just don't want to flare up this IT band issue again. And I might want to try out the interval feature on my snazzy new Garmin 210!!

I've been having issues with the software on my 110. I've sent it back to Garmin twice now. When I heard about the sweet upgrade deal Garmin is offering right now, I had to take advantage of it. Check it out here: http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/girls-on-the-run/

That's all I've got for now. Have a fabulous Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment