Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston

“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay though never quite eradicated.” ~~ Albus Dumbledore

As a former ER nurse and an Oklahoman, I'm no stranger to horrific, events. From automobile accidents to tornadoes to the OKC Murrah Building bombing, I am well versed with tragedy. But for some reason, I am struggling to process the events that transpired at the Boston Marathon yesterday. It was disturbing and surreal to see the still photos. My first thought was "why"? Why in the hell would anyone bomb a marathon, of all things?

I've crossed many finish lines and will cross many more. I've always considered the finish line a place for celebration, never a place of violence and danger. I've waited in the crowd, cheering on runners and waiting for my loved ones and never considered that I could possibly be in harm's way.

My heart is sad for those who were killed or injured. And I'm devastated for the 6000 runners who were still on the course, who never got to cross that finish line. The runners who spent countless hours training, through sweat, aches, pains, all types of weather conditions and busted their butts to qualify for a race that for many of us will only be a dream. Only to be robbed of their dream by such a selfish act.

I felt so many emotions. I was at a loss for words. I felt numb and heartsick at the same time. I stuggled to understand. In an effort to try to process all those emotions, I did the only thing I knew to do.......I ran. I ran 3.3 miles with my friends and husband after work. I ran to clear my mind, for peace and understanding and for those who could not. Today, I'm still struggling to understand.

I will run again--this weekend at the Camp Barnabas Half in Springfield, Missouri, where I will be wearing blue and yellow. And again on April 28, at the OKC Memorial Marathon. I wasn't going to run OKC, but Boston has made me more determined than ever, so I have decided to do it. I went to bed with a heavy heart and woke up with conviction. As runners and humans, we must not let anyone steal our hopes and dreams, because sometimes, that is all we have!

Prayers for all those affected yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment