Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Workout Wednesday

Good morning folks!

I hope that your week is going well so far. Today is Wednesday, so that means we're halfway through another work week, which makes me immensely happy!!  Today is one of those days that I would gladly work from home in my pajamas, after a nap of course!!

Now that it is officially summer, things are starting to heat up around here. It hasn't been as hot this summer as it was a few years ago (2011 and 2012 were among the hottest summers on record here in Oklahoma) but it is warming up and it has been extremely humid, which can pose problems. I've been joining my friends at 0530 to try to beat this a little bit. Yesterday was great but last week was a different story and I suspect that trend will continue until fall. Now, don't get me wrong, I love summer and I've run through some of the hottest summers ever on record in Oklahoma, it's just that I prefer running in the 50's -60's with low humidity. I thought that I would share some tips for running in the heat and humidity with you.

 
Personally, I'm trying to get my run in earlier in the day. I drink plenty of water and electrolyte replacement drinks throughout the day. I prefer to run tank tops and singlets in the summer to help keep me cool. And I slow my pace considerably. I do most of my running in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Tulsa is notoriously bad for "ozone alerts" so I pay close attention to the heat index. If it is 105 or higher, I will reduce my mileage or take my workout indoors, either to the treadmill or resort to cross training.

Yesterday, I ran 4 miles with my friends in the morning and did an upper body (chest/shoulders) workout after work. Today is LEG DAY!! I used to dread it, but I'm growing fond of it now.

And that's all I've got for you for now, so until next time--get up, get out and get moving!! Whatever you do today, be awesome at it!!

Your friend,

Theresa

How do you beat the summer heat?

1 comment:

  1. I'm in AR and it's nasty here too this time of year. I definitely try to get in my runs early, lots of water & electrolytes. And I break for water sprinklers! Also, no hats covering my head.

    ReplyDelete