Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I Am A Nurse!

I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was going to school to become a music teacher. Then, I had a life changing event......I became a mother. I was 22 years old with a baby to support. I completed my junior year in college, grudgingly. I knew it wasn't really what I wanted to do and I was concerned that it wouldn't be lucrative enough to raise a child. In the fall, when all my friends were going back to school, I was busy working, raising my son, and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life.

Then, 1 morning I woke up thinking "You're going to be a nurse. You'll always have a job no matter where you go" I went to work that day and informed my boss it would be my last day. He was skeptical but supportive. I went to the local nursing home, applied for a job as a nurse's aide and was hired on the spot. I told my case worker at the DHS that I was going to be a nurse. He was less than encouraging and supportive, which was more motivation for me.

I applied to nursing school and was accepted. I completed the program in 2 years with a 3.35 GPA. It was natural that I chose nursing as a career path. My grandmother and her twin sister were both RN's. My 2 aunts were RN's and 3 of my cousin's were RN's.

In the past 20 years, I've worked in many different specialties including ER and hospice. Currently, I am an RN case manager, which is challenging in so many different ways. And I've had the privilege of working with so many amazing, compassionate men and women over the past 20 years. You make the world a better place and proud to call myself a NURSE! 


KEEP CALM AND NURSE ON!


And, in other news, last night was the first night of the new session of Pathways. I'm excited that we've got a large group and I'm extremely excited to work with them to achieve their goal of running a 10k! We're going to have fun this session!!

No comments:

Post a Comment