Monday, February 25, 2013

Sunday afternoon in Fort Worth

It's been years since I've been to Ft. Worth. My aunt Paula lives there, but sadly we don't see her very often. We arrived back at the hotel room post-race around 11:30. Our train didn't leave for OKC until 5:25pm. So we had some time to kill. I had heard that Joe T Garcia's was a must do but we didn't have transportation. Aunt Paula to the rescue!!  She offered to pick us up at the hotel after church and drive to the restaurant. We invited a couple of our close friends, Kelly and Sharon, to go with us.

She picked us up at 1 pm and off we went in search of "the best Mexican food in Ft Worth" The line was out the door and down the street when we arrived. Sharon, Kelly and I got us a place in line while Aunt Paula and hubs parked the car. After a few minutes, hubs went indoors to get us drinks. He came back with a Tecate for him and a pitcher of margaritas for us!!  I had heard about these margaritas and haven't had one in ages, so I was excited!!  They were perfectly yummy with the best salt around the rim!!  YUM!!  I could have consumed the pitcher all by myself but they would have had to pour me in the car!

We waited for about 15 minutes when we realized that we were waiting for patio seating and the line for indoor seating was much shorter.  We went inside where we had to wait for about 10 more minutes and were then directed to a large table in the center of the room. The atmosphere and decor was AWESOMELY authentic!!  It was obvious that we were in for a treat!!  We were met immediately with baskets of chips and bowls of yummy salsa. I heard the food was served family style but we were given menus and it looked like there was something for everyone, including our vegetarian friend, Kelly. We ordered queso and our meals. We had a short wait for our food but we were busy enjoying the chips and salsa and conversation so it didn't seem to take that long. The food was a delicious as we had been told and we all left with full bellies.

Afterward, we had a nice guided tour of Fort Worth ala Aunt Paula. She drove us through the stockyards, past TCU, the botanical gardens/zoo and several really cool, business areas. After the scenic tour, she dropped us off at the train station where we waited for our friends. We all hopped the train and headed home without incident. Over all, it was a brief, whirlwind trip but it was very fun!!  I think we're going to have to do it again when we have more time to explore. It would be a perfect girls weekend or a quick weekend get away for me and hubs!!  Plus, I enjoyed the visit with my aunt!! 

Well, I'm off. We're expecting some winter weather so I have to go get bread and milk which is what we do here in Oklahoma when they forecast snow!!  TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment