Saturday, August 15, 2009

Me!


People often ask me what's the secret to my weight loss success, so I thought I would blog about it so that you all could read about it. In 2007, I was facing my 40th birthday and not too chipper about it.....I was heavier than I ever had been in my life and pretty unhappy about it. In late March/early April, I decided to do something about it but wasn't sure exactly what. A lady that I knew told me about her diet which was all organic/natural.....I wasn't sure if it would work, but it didn't sound too bad to me. I was discussing this with my sister one day and she said "That sounds like the Dr. Oz plan". I remembered hearing something on Oprah similar to what I was talking about so I did some research and discovered the book "You On a Diet" by Dr. Oz. I was hooked immediately and became a faithful label reader.
I cut out soda pop and drank mostly water. I quit eating anything with bleached, enriched flour; high fructose corn syrup; and partially hydrogenated oils. I quit eating processed foods and started to eat more healthy, natural, nutritious foods and snacks. I limited my calorie intake to around 1200-1500/day. I ate 4-5 small meals daily consisting of 100% whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, and clean proteins such as chicken or fish. And I limited the foods I ate to 5 grams or less each of sugar and fat. The transformation was amazing!! I lost 55 lbs and went from a size 14 to a size 4!! See the above photo vs my profile pic for comparison!!
Today, I still maintain this healthy diet most of the time.....I will on occasion eat a burger or a piece of cake because I don't think self deprivation is helpful to weight loss. If I eat something that I don't deem "healthy", I limit my portion size......1/2 a burger instead of a whole one or skip the bun. If anyone is interested in losing weight, I would highly recommend the above mentioned book or check out Prevention magazine and the Flat Belly Diet book too!! Stay tuned for healthy tips and meal plans, etc. Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment