Monday, July 20, 2015

Enough is Enough

Howdy folks!!

I realize I haven't been here in forever, and I'm sorry for that. Life has just been so hectic lately & I just didn't really have much new or interesting to talk about.

I've been busy with weight training recently as I've had a little set back in the running world. About a month ago, I started having pain in my foot which has progressively gotten worse despite the typical rest, ice, compression, elevation treatment. So, this afternoon I'm going to my PCP for an xray. I'm hoping and praying for no stress fracture but I'm fairly certain that's what it is. Bummer!!  I was planning to fun the Route 66 Marathon this fall but that plan is currently on hold. Usually I would be upset that I couldn't run, but I'm really enjoying the weight training right now.

I've also tweaked my macros some and consequently, I'm seeing some results that I'm really pleased with. Last week, my stomach was flatter than I've ever seen it. Now, mind you, I wasn't very careful over the weekend and may have had a couple of high carb days in a row. But I'll just keep plugging along and try to trust the process. 

What I came here to talk to you about today is "body shaming". Body shaming is defined as: shaming someone for their body type; they're too fat, too skinny, etc.  Now, I am not going to deny that I have found myself doing this from time to time. I've looked at an over weight person and judged them harshly. And that was wrong! I don't know that person. I don't know their story or their struggles and I don't have any room to judge them. I really never gave this much thought until recently.....when it happened to me.

Two times in the past week, I've been judged harshly by women because of my body type: too skinny. One woman made derogatory comments to my husband about me "Well, she's got an 8 inch waist" Another commented about me wearing a bikini. Well guess what? My body isn't perfect and I'm not really where I want to be yet. But I'm much better than I used to be. And I'm DAMN PROUD OF IT!!  So, I'm going to continue to wear bikinis or skirts that accent my waist because I have worked for it and earned it!! 

I am sure this is just the old green-eyed jealous monster rearing its ugly head. I'm sorry that they aren't happy with their bodies. That really is unfortunate. However it is their problem, not mine. And my self worth doesn't depend on their acceptance of me.

I wish every woman felt confident and comfortable in their own skin. Body shaming is the primary reason that we don't!!  Women judge each other so harshly. When we first began boating several years ago, I wouldn't be caught dead in a bikini. I was scared to show my body. I knew it wasn't perfect and was afraid I would be judged for it. But I saw other women who weren't perfect either and they were in bikinis so I eventually overcame that fear. It made me strive to work harder and be a little bit better every day. I'm proud of where I am in my journey. I realize that it is much easier to project one's insecurities onto the other person rather than facing them & dealing with them. But it's time that we stop this trend. Instead of bashing the other person who you know nothing about, reflect on what you like about yourself and what you could improve. If you're jealous then do something about it!!  Everyone can change their story....I did!!  We're all born with traits & characteristics that make us unique and individual. When we learn to let go of our own insecurities & quit sweating the small stuff (yes, it is small stuff) then we truly are happier. So, ladies....stop with the childish, jealousy, mean girls stuff! It's so middle school and really isn't very becoming. I truly says more about you & your character than that of the other person.

Confidence is the most beautiful accessory a woman can wear! Strong women build each other up instead of tearing them down! So, be strong, be courageous, accept yourself for who you are & where you are in your journey, and most importantly, learn to LOVE yourself!

So, let's quit with the body shaming, judging, and jealously stuff! 

Or anyone, for that matter!


 
Until next time--get up, get out, & get moving!!  Whatever you do today, be awesome at it!!

Your friend,

Theresa

Have you ever been body shamed?
Have you ever body shamed someone else?






3 comments:



  1. Admin, if not okay please remove!

    Our facebook group “selfless” is spending this month spreading awareness on prostate cancer & research with a custom t-shirt design. Purchase proceeds will go to cancer.org, as listed on the shirt and shirt design.

    www.teespring.com/prostate-cancer-research

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it's well-known you can never own too many pairs of shoes, it may not be a poor notion to open a shoe shop! www.runningaddicted.com offers some in-depth insights on Running Addicted Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the article and an introduction for me about this must do race! Keep blogging, keep running 🏃🏾‍♀️ We as a company are also helping women ease their running lifestyle through headbands and wrist bands with pockets to ease their lifestyle. You are always welcome to have a review at
    https://lockerlifestyle.com/

    Thanks again for the article

    ReplyDelete